There are three types of watch movement:
- Quartz — the movement of a quartz watch is powered by a pulse, created by an electrical circuit and a piece of quartz crystal that vibrates, 32768 times per second from the electrical charge of a small battery.. A Quartz watch requires a battery replacement every 2-3 years.
- Mechanical — Unlike a quartz watch, the movement of a mechanical watch gets power from a manually wound mainspring, rather than a battery. Mechanical watches require regular winding.
- Automatic — Often referred to as a self-winding watch (Manual winding is not required). The automatic watch transforms the kinetic energy from the motion of the wearer's wrist so that the mechanical watch movement remains charged.
What is the benefit of a quartz watch?
- Ease of use — Battery-powered Quartz watches require no-winding or human intervention to stay on-time.
- Accuracy: Quartz watches are superiorly accurate at telling the time, and rarely veer off.
- Low maintenance — With less moving or mechanical parts, they require less maintenance than their mechanical equivalents.
- Less expensive — With less moving parts and ingenuity, the Quartz watch is cheaper.
- Durability — Mechanical watches have many moving parts that must be kept in perfect harmony to tell the time accurately. A quartz watch has fewer components, making it more durable.
What is the benefit of mechanical watch?
- Longevity — A well-built mechanical watches can last more than a lifetime with proper care and maintenance.
- Sentimental — Many consider the daily ritual owing and winding a mechanical watch enjoyable.
- Aesthetics — Often, mechanical watches showcase their internal mechanical workings with transparent sapphire case backs and intrusions.
What is the benefit of an automatic watch?
- No battery, No winding it is mechanically automatic.
- With regular wear, the watch continues to function.
- Owning an automatic is considered a personal luxury item.
The faster, less-expensive way to repair any watch. From your home, office or on the go.
The UK's #1 watch repair website at your fingers.
Open a watch repair request, define your repair - upload photo's to our UK service center. Our expert team will examine your repair request. If your repair is accepted, we notify you the same day with FREE shipping instructions. Still not convinced? Read on.